I am here to tell you that if you are pushing forty you are not too old to become a mum for the first time or if you decide to have another little baby. When your baby is born, you are more relaxed, you are not so anxious to go out, you are happy to stay in with a glass of wine on a Saturday night and peek in and check out your beautiful sleeping baby.
Keep reading and I am going to share with you, my best 6 tips to help you along the way.
I turn 40 on the 9 March 2011, my wonderful family organized a surprise party for me over a weekend and we made sure we celebrated it to the full. And if I did not have enough surprises my partner gave me a present of a trip to Lisbon in Portagle in May 2011.
We had a great trip away and to my surprise and his we found out the following month that I was expecting Amber. I was in shock because at 40 I did not expect to get pregnant. Also, I was worried that I would be the oldest mother and what would other people think of me having a baby and being so OLD.
To my surprise all my friends were delighted for me, some even bit envious of me going back to the baby stage again. Amber came along on the 29 February 2012, she is now a very happy 5-year-old little girl and has started school. Do you know what, I am not the oldest mother in the school, there are a few mums the same age as me.
I was also very conscious in my acupuncture clinic, I treat a lot of couples trying to start a family, that here I was at 40 expecting my third baby. But it helped the ladies I treated. I keep telling them, it only takes one egg and sperm to make a baby.
I specialize in helping couples achieve their goals in my acupuncture clinic or through my online course. But I am going to share with you today, my top 6 tips to help get you started on your journey to parenthood
- Make sure you are eating a healthy well-balanced diet. Nutrition plays such an important role when it comes to fertility. You need foods that are nutrient-dense prior to getting pregnant and through out pregnancy. These foods are what you need to help you build healthy eggs and healthy sperm. You should eat a whole range of foods such as green leafy vegetables, eggs, nuts, good fats, yogurt and beta carotenes, foods such as tomatoes, carrots, and red peppers. Lots of vegetable, fish, fruit, good carbohydrates and a small amount of meat. The best fish is sea bass and salmon, vegetable broccoli, avocado, pepper, carrots, fruit blueberries, pineapple, raspberries, nuts and seed walnut, sesame seeds, carbohydrates, pasta, brown rice, to name a few.
For the best results make your meals from scratch and have a meal plan.
- Supplements - Take the right supplements – Inositol is fantastic for egg and sperm quality, coenzyme Q10 and folic acid. Many of the ladies I see my clinic are deficient in vitamin D, make sure you take a vitamin D supplement and royal jelly.
- Reduce the stress in your life. Stress can play a huge role in complicating things when you want to get pregnant. The problem is we all live in a fast life style, and if a pregnancy doesn’t occur straight away we start to panic and get stressed, this can stop you ovulating have a huge effect on your energy and hormones. It is easy for me to say don’t stress. You need to find ways to help, try meditating, talk to friends, make sure you get plenty of rest and sleep. DO SOMETHING NICE FOR YOU!!
- Exercise - Make sure you are taking the right amount of exercise, not too much or too little. Listen to your body. If you feel tired do a more Yin type of exercise like walking, swimming. When your energy is good, do more Yang type of exercise, a good workout, go for a run or a cardiovascular workout. This is very important from a Chinese medicine point of view, you need your body to think energy for making a baby, not energy to allow your body to recover from working hard all day and a strenuous workout.
- Make sure you get the right amount of sleep, It is important to get between seven and eight hours sleep every night to repair all the damage that we do to our bodies during the day. For regulation of hormones and your energy. Leave all electronic devices out of your room, make sure your room is a peaceful place.
- Try these acupressure points to help kick start your kidneys into action. In Chinese Medicine, Kidneys are very responsible for reproduction, press each point for a least 30 seconds every day.
Written by Lucy Townsley Lic TCM
www.myfertilebody.com online fertility course
Please leave a comment and other advice that you have.