OMG PERIODS we love to hate them - This is so true, right. Your period comes in your early teenage years. What a pain in the butt, every month, or sometimes you don’t even notice that your period hasn’t come for months. Doesn't matter cause you are too busy enjoying life. BUT suddenly when you want to start your family it does matter that you have a regular menstrual cycle, you need your cycle to ovulate.
We become experts on our fertility when we don’t get pregnant quickly enough, we start charting, buy the latest ovulation predictor kits with the smiley faces, take temperatures, google everything we can about ovulation and fertility. But still nothing no pregnancy why?
There are different reasons for not ovulating and not producing eggs.
- PCOS – polycystic ovarian syndrome, 1 in 10 women suffer from PCOS, some have lots of symptoms and some none at all. how do you know if you have PCOS?
- Prematurely ovary – How do you know if you have this? You have a blood test done to see how many eggs are left, The test is called AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone) the test can be very distressing if the results of the test are bad. But this does not mean you can not get pregnant, remember it only takes one egg and sperm for a pregnancy to happen. You can not increase your egg supply but you can look after the ones you have. In Chinese medicine, we need to build up your kidney energy. everything you need to know about AMH and low ovarian reserve.
- Hormones – Some women produce too much androgen (male hormone) this can create irregular cycles and disrupt In the case of PCOS women are usually insulin resistant and produce too much testosterone. During the cycle, we need to produce the right amount of FSH and LH. Stress, eating the wrong foods, to much exercise, poor sleep, overwork, too much physical work all of these things disrupt your hormones.
- Stress – We all suffer from mental and physical stresses from work and everyday life stuff. When we are under a lot of stress we produce a hormone called prolactin, cortisol and other hormones they interfere with our cycle and block ovulation. So we need to find ways to de-stress ourselves, not easy sometimes in the world that we live in. How do you de-stress – In Chinese medicine stress is usually associated with the Liver so we need to work on balancing the liver with what we eat, exercise, sleep, meditation and mindfulness.
- Prolactin – Prolactin is made by the pituitary gland and is mainly secreted after pregnancy, prolactin is used to produce milk for the baby. But sometimes when you are not pregnant your body can produce this hormone and this can stop your cycle, disrupts the FSH hormone and the LH hormone, cause the cycle to become irregular or shorten the cycle, also disrupts ovulation. How do you know if you have this problem? You need to have a CT scan or MRI to check your pituitary is normal or a blood test.
- Thyroid – The only way you know if you have a thyroid problem is though a blood test. If you have a underactive or overactive thyroid (Hypo or Hyperthyroidism) it can affect your fertility by making your cycle shorter this is the LH phase of your cycle, stops ovulation, can increase prolactin levels, increases the chances of miscarriage, also affects your PCOS.
What can you do!!!!
Follow my fertile body plan
Reading all the about why you are not ovulating is awful. But do not despair because I have lots of methods, tips and advice to help you get a regular cycle and start OVULATING again!!
- Regulate your cycle – by tapping the liver and kidney channel for 5 minutes every day from the foot up and then down.
Liver Channel Kidney Channel
- Acupressure points Taichong and Taixi together three times a day for 1 minute
- Use what you eat to help regulate your hormones, carrots are brilliant
- Get rid of sugar and processed food from your diet these types of foods really disrupts your hormones
- Make the Kidney boosting soup
- Use a warm foot spa put some essential oils, lavender oil, all the acupuncture channels end on the sole of your feet. By doing this you are stimulating the acupuncture channels
- Make sure you eat a healthy diet that has no cold food.
- Make sure you eat a diet that is full of green vegetables, berries and fruits, don’t overeat as this stagnates your energies even more.
- Get enough sleep between 7 and 8 hours per night,
- Gentle exercise, walking, swimming, cycling for 30 minutes 5 times a week.
- Take time out for you, go on a date with your partner.
- Make sure you breathe properly, practice taking 3 really deep breaths all the way down into your abdomen at least five times a day.
- Have a distress plan - we create plans for our future, so why not create a distress plan creating your family.
Acupressure point Taixi
Acupressure point Taichong
Written by Lucy Townsley
Please leave a comment and I will answer as many questions as I can.
and don't forget to sign up for the FREE FertilityProgramme through Acupuncture